From kdelibs4 to KDE frameworks... how to make KDE more cross platform...

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Tue Feb 14 18:12:58 GMT 2012

On Tuesday 14 February 2012, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Monday, February 13, 2012 17:51:23 Shaun Reich wrote:
> > hate to chime in as well, but i think replacing the Windows shell
> > should definitely be something that's looked at. imho it makes a lot
> > of sense. face it, the Windows shell sucks.
>
> how many windows users realistically change the shell, even though it's
> already possible now and such shells exist?
>
> this is even smaller than the # of people who really dislike the windows 7
> shell THAT much.
>
> compare with: how much effort is required to make this REALLY work well?

Especially considering the man power we have under Windows. It's not much.

> i'm not going to stand in people's way of working on this (because .. well
> .. i haven't so far ;) but if you do the math it's pretty evident that the
> work/reward ratio is microscopic.
>
> if we just say, "nah. not a priority. don't plan around that eventuality"
> then it becomes far more evident that it is the applications that need to
> be focussed on.
>
> and when we realize that the applications should be the _focus_, then we
> arrive at the conclusions of the original post in this thread :)

Yes :-)
Actually this is also connected to the way Qt is evolving: more features get
integrated into Qt / qt-project, so providing libraries with additional
features becomes less important for KDE.
Instead we as KDE can concentrate more on two things:
* a desktop for UNIX
* and applications portable between all major operating system

...and of course the community.

Alex