From kdelibs4 to KDE frameworks... how to make KDE more cross platform...

Pau Garcia i Quiles pgquiles at elpauer.org
Mon Feb 13 12:10:06 GMT 2012

On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 11:39 PM, Andre Heinecke <aheinecke at intevation.de>wrote:

> The perception that dbus is a problem on Windows is outdated. Dbus was a
> huge
> problem on windows but currently the situation is pretty good, we reall
> have
> no known issues with it. We can run multiple instances with different
> applications, it can do multiuser and it''s very stable and reliable for
> our
> platform.
>
> I think dbus can and needs to stay.

I've had kdelibs rejected at work because of DBus on Windows.

I've had KDE applications rejected or only approved after a lot of
explanations at several (enterprise) customers.

In my experience, DBus *is* a problem on Windows. And let's not forget DBus
is not available on all platforms, so we still need a solution for
platforms where you cannot run or access dbus-daemon. A libdbusfat like I
proposed may solve the issue with no need to modify applications.

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org