Nepomuk Metadata Extractor moved to KDE Review

Jörg Ehrichs Joerg.Ehrichs at gmx.de
Sun Dec 9 23:30:57 GMT 2012

Hi,

> On Tuesday, December 04, 2012 14:17:33 Jörg Ehrichs wrote:
>> > This sounds a bit like you're ignoring most of the feedback you got.
>>
>> No didn't ignore any reviews. I've changed/implemented each and every
>> suggestion/review I've got.
>
> Sorry, I think I came over a bit disrespectful for your work, it wasn't meant
> that way.

Don't wory I didn't took this personally :)

> The additional systemsettings module to me is actually one of the biggest
> problems, because it adds clutter to an interface that is very widely used, it
> affects other applications and overall complexity of our system.
>
> This could be alleviated by grouping the webminder KCM under "Desktop Search",
> I'd suggest to do that until those two are integrated.

I don't like the current solution either, but currently I could only
remove it from the
settings or have it in its own category. The "Desktop Search" is not
implemented as
category section like the input devices but shows the kcm_nepomuk only.

In order to allow this settings module to show up together with
nepomuk this should
be changed first. That why I like to wait till the 4.11 change.

>> > One more thing I ran into when installing it (already three weeks ago) is
>> > that it uses a lot of dependencies, many of them python libraries to
>> > interact with specific webservices. [...]
>
> A warning would be handy. I had to hunt down the missing modules from runtime
> errors, which is probably the worst way to go about it.
>
>> [...]
>
> Ah, I missed that. :) The CMake warning could point to the README, maybe?

I've added a cleaner INSTALL file and a proper warning t othe cmake.
Beside that, the system settings module tells you why the plugin fail.
But hopefully this will is not necessary for most end-users late ron.

> Could it be ported away from PyKDE? I've not looked at the code, but if the
> dependency is not that heavy, maybe it could be changed?

The PyKDE/PyQt stuff wasn't added by me. This is on the other hand
currently the only solution
to allow plugins to have their own configuartion.

For all the dependency problems in case this hopefully get into SC.
Should the integration with nepomuk get a bit deeper i could still put
the plugin parts somewhere else,
where the dependencies are not the problem anymore (whereever this might be)

In the worst case have the plugins, execpt a few basic ones (so all
with PyKde  dependency) in extragear
and by default this can only fetch basic data while the user has still
the chance to add better plugins or write
his own as the structure that supports it is always on board.

This might be the best solution after all.

So if I get your ok for the current status I'll tell the admins to
move this to extragear first.

Regards,
Jörg