Nepomuk Metadata Extractor moved to KDE Review

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Sun Dec 9 12:23:13 GMT 2012

Hi Jörg,

On Tuesday, December 04, 2012 14:17:33 Jörg Ehrichs wrote:
> > This sounds a bit like you're ignoring most of the feedback you got.
>
> No didn't ignore any reviews. I've changed/implemented each and every
> suggestion/review I've got.

Sorry, I think I came over a bit disrespectful for your work, it wasn't meant
that way.

> Except the few opened points you mentioned that are necessary to get
> it into 4.11
>
> As these points mean, I'll have to change /add stuff to nepomuk to
> make the integration better, this isn't something,
> that's possible at the moment. That's why I like to postpone these few
> changes, get this in extragear and "fix" all the
> last mentioned integration issues for  4.11.

The additional systemsettings module to me is actually one of the biggest
problems, because it adds clutter to an interface that is very widely used, it
affects other applications and overall complexity of our system.

This could be alleviated by grouping the webminder KCM under "Desktop Search",
I'd suggest to do that until those two are integrated.

> > One more thing I ran into when installing it (already three weeks ago) is
> > that it uses a lot of dependencies, many of them python libraries to
> > interact with specific webservices. Many of them are not mentioned
> > specifically by CMake, as their runtime dependencies, so it took me quite
> > some time to figure out those dependencies.
>
> I wanted to add these stuff to CMake first (so you get notified that
> these packages are missing)
> But I found a few ml discussions saying, that runtime dependencies
> should not be added to cmake
> (via find_package). If you disagree, I could try to make add some
> FindCMake files for the python stuff.

A warning would be handy. I had to hunt down the missing modules from runtime
errors, which is probably the worst way to go about it.

> But i think this is not the best way to deal with it.
> Currently there is a README, explaining all the dependencies.
> I wanted to add some more help for packagers too (mainly rewrite whats
> in the readme but with more details)

Ah, I missed that. :) The CMake warning could point to the README, maybe?

> > I also see this as a problem for a possible KDE SC integration. Without a
> > lot of external dependencies, the project is fairly useless.
>
> That's true, without the python dependencies no data will be fetched
> and basically the program does nothing.
> But this wouldn't break anythink in this case too, and the "normal"
> nepomuk-fileindexer needs external libs too.
>
> So is it really a big deal to depend on these libraries for
> runtime/workspace or wherever this could go in 4.11?
>
> > I'm also not sure we
> > can sensibly depend on PyKDE in modules as central as kde-runtime or
> > workspace.
>
> As the tvdb-mail plugin is the only one that needs it, this plugin
> could stay maybe in extragear in a repo for additional plugins
> or maybe I could add GHNS support later on and put it there.

Could it be ported away from PyKDE? I've not looked at the code, but if the
dependency is not that heavy, maybe it could be changed?

> > Do you see a way to a) reduce the number of dependencies or at least make
> > it more obvious how to install nepomuk-webminer in a more obvious way?
> The build dependency for poppler and TagLib will be removed when I
> integrate this more into the fileinder (or better reuse the
> newly written fileinder which mostly duplicates my current approach anyway)
>
> For the python stuff I could combine requests/httplib2/urllib2 as far
> as i know, as they du basically the same.
> And of course add some "PACKERS-INFO" or "INSTALL" readme to make all
> the other runtime dependencies from the current
> README more prominent.
>
> Would this work for you?

Yep, though for inclusion into KDE SC, we'd have to collect more opinions
about the dependencies.

Cheers,
--
sebas