Review of kdev-python for move to extragear

Sven Brauch svenbrauch at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 6 22:28:40 GMT 2012

Hello!

Unfortunately, I don't think it's possible to use an external version
of python. The official parser does not provide some of the
information which is required for proper static analysis; upstream
refused to accept my patches changing what would have been needed to
make it work (see http://bugs.python.org/issue10769). Stripping the
parser out of the python package is very difficult, since it relies on
PyObject data structures. Writing (and maintaining!) a custom parser
would mean far more trouble than updating this one.

Security fixes to the *parser* should be extremely rare. Other fixes
are not relevant, since none of the runtime stuff is actually being
used by kdev-python (just the parser).

Greetings,
Sven