KCM Authorization (was: Re: Review Request: print-manager on kdereview)

Dario Freddi drf54321 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 02:15:30 BST 2012

2012/8/27 Christoph Feck <christoph at maxiom.de>:
> On Monday 27 August 2012 22:15:18 Daniel Nicoletti wrote:
>> 2012/8/27 Christoph Feck <christoph at maxiom.de>:
>> > I am talking about whatever design mistake is responsible for bug
>> > 242648, which isn't about CUPS at all. Sorry for side-tracking
>> > this thread. I was just thinking that with your expertise on the
>> > authorization-related stuff, we could plan better for the
>> > future, so that we don't carry this bug over to frameworks.

The root of the problem is not in KAuth (which has been already
redesigned in Frameworks to be completely async, btw) but in the fact
that polkit doesn't conceive a window manager which makes the
authorization dialog non-modal. I already tried every possible
workaround in 4.x without success, and I honestly didn't test
extensively the new architecture in that regard yet. For sure, the
main problem won't go away. Consider that KAuth already "hacks" into
polkit requests just to set a parent window id.