Call for Projects: University Collaboration in Toulouse

Torsten Rahn tackat at t-online.de
Thu Aug 16 19:23:24 BST 2012

Hello,

On Donnerstag, 16. August 2012 12:12:12 Kevin Ottens wrote:
> Hello,
>
> As a reminder: I need to close the list of projects real soon now. If you
> did send me your proposal yet please do so NOW!

On behalf of the Marble Team I'd like to express our highest interest in
participation!

The two mentors we'd provide are Dennis and me.

We have a very interesting topic going on that has a lot to offer for students
with different aspects of interest and varying capabilities:

"OpenStreetMap Vector Rendering"

We had Ander successfully working on a prototype and first implementation
related to this topic during GSoC 2012:

You can read all about it in his blog:

http://blogs.deusto.es/gsoc-deustotech/

But there's still a lot of work left with different aspects/features that
could be done either isolated on a per-student basis or by the full team.

Our OpenStreetMap Vector Rendering Feature Topics include:

- Street Label placement for Marble OpenStreetMap vector rendering (very
important aspect and has lots of render-, algorithm-, optimization- and
usability-issues involved that one could work on): Currently Marble doesn't
render street names in .OSM vector rendering. Of course street names should
always be rendered in a visible place along the streets and shouldn't overlap
- oh and they should always render quickly.

- Development of a dedicated file format for storing OpenStreetMap vector
tiles. Right now we are using some JS-based file format. See e.g.
http://blogs.deusto.es/gsoc-deustotech/first-vector-tiles-rendering/

- Related to the former topic: Setting up a vector tile server and setting up
/ developing the software for it for Marble

- PBF File Format support for Marble. This would be the efficient binary
incarnation of the .OSM file format .

- Improvements to our vector rendering pipeline ("GeoGraphicsView"). This is
more an architecture-refactoring and optimization topic

- Vector Map Styling support: Improvement of the current styling mechanism for
streets and points of interests + possible evaluation of usage of mapcss + its
implementation in Marble

Of course other topics for Marble work are welcome as well. Possible
alternatives could cover Space + Astronomy, Historic Maps, Routing,
GeoCaching, Natural Earth vector tile rendering (topographic map), Time &
Animation KML enhancements, etc.
But we are also interested in other subjects students could come up with.

You can get in touch with us here:

http://edu.kde.org/marble/support.php

Compiling Marble is easy:

http://edu.kde.org/marble/obtain.php

and the same applies for getting started with Marble development:

http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Marble/MarbleCPlusPlus

Best Regards,
Torsten