RFC: i18n: strict translation call-to-catalog mapping

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Fri Apr 6 10:46:23 BST 2012

Quoting Chusslove Illich <caslav.ilic at gmx.net>:
>> [: Thomas Zander :]
>> I like that idea in general, not sure how to implement it properly,
>> though. Simplest idea is to make cmake generate a "klocale-{module}.h"
>> file and make everyone include that. But that sounds like a lot of work.
>
> Actually I have nothing against providing any kind of special support on
> CMake side, for whatever reason.

Good, I think both ossi and I feel thats the way to go.

> But this must be technically optional. The library interface must provide a
> build-system agnostic way to map i18n calls to specific catalogs.

Agreed.

In my exact example-solution the user either includes klocale.h for
traditional or klocale-plasma.h for his library (plasma in my
example). Can't get more optional than that ;)
My worry with it is that its confusing to have to include a different
header in different modules.

It does have the advantage of being really easy to auto test and stay
consistent.
--
Thomas Zander