Exposing KSSL in KIO

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Fri Apr 6 01:14:34 BST 2012

On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 12:36 AM, Thiago Macieira <thiago at kde.org> wrote:
> On quinta-feira, 5 de abril de 2012 21.41.00, David Edmundson wrote:
>> In KDE Telepathy one the tasks I'm currently doing is certificate
>> handling. We get the certificate from telepathy and have to prompt the
>> user if they want to accept an invalid certificate.
>> All the normal SSL work is done in this telepathy component shared by
>> gnome, but any user prompts have to go through us so we match our DE
>> and gnome can do their thing.
>
> Then that's already wrong. Please make sure that the Telepathy component is
> using the KDE certificates. You must add a way to set the certificates.

Sure, right now it's on an in-built simple fall back mode "if valid
accept, otherwise reject" using whatever method it uses. As soon as we
say "actually I want to do the certificates myself" then it becomes
our job to accept or reject all certificates, which is what I'm trying
to do at the moment.

What I was trying (badly) to say is we can only handle certificates.
We can't put the entire stream into a KIO::TcpSlaveBase, which I
assume is how most people would use KSSL indirectly, as it's not our
component.

>> Looking at the documentation KIO has everything I need, namely
>> KSSLCertificate and KSSLCertDialog. Unfortunately the headers aren't
>> installed so that I can't use any of it. Even though I could duplicate
>> that code myself it would be nice to get a consistent interface.
>>
>> Is this deliberate? If so, why?
>
> It's deliberate. The dialogs are internal API. KDE applications are supposed
> to be using one of the socket classes.
>
>> Is there any way I can use it currently? (i.e can I just copy the
>> headers without getting in lots of trouble)
>
> I don't think so. The classes are likely not to be exported.

Weirdly they are. At least there's a "KIO_EXPORT" in the class
definition in the header of KSSLCertificate.

>> Could this be changed for Frameworks?
>
> If you submit the changes, yes.

Deal.