The case for a kdelibs 4.8

Heinz Wiesinger HMWiesinger at liwjatan.at
Thu Sep 29 18:26:53 BST 2011

On Thursday 29 September 2011 14:01:50 Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> as you probably already know, a decision was recently made that kdelibs 4.7
> would be the last 4.x release series of kdelibs, and work would be ongoing
> in the 5.0 (frameworks) and 4.7 (KDE/4.7) branches only. I think this is a
> huge mistake, for several reasons (the "TL/DR" crowd can stop right here,
> but if you want to know why, please read on!)
> [..]

From what I remember from the desktop summit the picture you draw here is
quite an exaggeration of what is actually happening.

kdelibs 4.7 is meant to be frozen for new features, but not for bugfixes.
Bugfix releases of kdelibs-4.7 happenend and I'm sure will continue on
happening. As for the versioning I don't see why one of those bugfix releases
couldn't be rebranded as 4.8.0 if that makes things easier (that was even
briefly mentioned at the release team BoF). It does not solve feature
backports of course.

The KDE Frameworks 5.0 development is not meant to take forever. In fact I
think it's meant to be finished around early 2012, which would leave us with a
frozen kdelibs for one KDE SC release, maximum two. It's also not a huge *we
will break everything! Kittens will die!* release, but basically just a
restructuration of the code, with little to no adjustments necessary for
applications. (that was how it was marketed, anyway).
The way I understood it was that there could very well be a KDE SC 4.9 release
shipping a 4.9 workspace on top of 5.0 frameworks.

As for the version numbers, I don't really see the problem. As long as the
integrity of the KDE SC releases remains, different version numbers in its
components are not really /that/ important. I do see how it could help though.

Grs,
Heinz