KNotify-considerations for frameworks

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Fri Sep 23 01:36:13 BST 2011

A Dijous, 22 de setembre de 2011, Sune Vuorela vàreu escriure:
> On 2011-09-22, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:
> > This means that as a user if the developer decides to use a "Popup" I
> > can no longer configure the application to do nothing? Or to play a
> > sound?
> No. It just means that the responsibility is handed over to the
> application developer if they want to offer that functionality,

So frameworks is going to make me as application developer do more work? That
is not what i was sold.

> rather than now where the notification settings dialog more feels like
> something badly welded on to the application rather than being a part
> of the application.

I disagree, the fact that *all* KDE applications open the same dialog when you
go to settings->configure notifications is a big plus. It adds consistency to
the user experience and even if the dialog could be designed better (it works
for me but things can always be improved) the user only has to learn it once,
not per each and every application.

> I've asked around my local circles (not my internet circles) which of
> such functionality tehy use, and the only configuration option tehy use
> is to globally disable all audible notifications.
>
> > Seems like
> > a huge loss of functionality to me.
>
> It's at least a change, and a small loss of functionality. And a huge
> reducement in complexity.

Again, do you realize what libraries are for? libraries are for coding
difficult things once so not everyone has to code it again.

> Does the advantages outweigh the disadvantages in what I'm proposing? I
> think so. But I want to discuss it before actually starting to write any
> code in case it is just me who is weird.

As I read your mail it seems you want to remove functionality people are using
because you do not feel like doing "complex" stuff and prefer every
application developer to code that complex stuff for himself.

Albert