KNotify-considerations for frameworks

Sune Vuorela nospam at vuorela.dk
Fri Sep 23 00:07:44 BST 2011

On 2011-09-22, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:
> This means that as a user if the developer decides to use a "Popup" I can no
> longer configure the application to do nothing? Or to play a sound?

No. It just means that the responsibility is handed over to the
application developer if they want to offer that functionality,
rather than now where the notification settings dialog more feels like
something badly welded on to the application rather than being a part
of the application.

I've asked around my local circles (not my internet circles) which of
such functionality tehy use, and the only configuration option tehy use
is to globally disable all audible notifications.

> Seems like
> a huge loss of functionality to me.

It's at least a change, and a small loss of functionality. And a huge
reducement in complexity.

Does the advantages outweigh the disadvantages in what I'm proposing? I
think so. But I want to discuss it before actually starting to write any
code in case it is just me who is weird.

/Sune
 - developer for hire