[Nepomuk] Nepomuk code moved to nepomuk-core

Sebastian Trüg trueg at kde.org
Mon Sep 19 10:49:26 BST 2011

On 09/19/2011 11:07 AM, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> A Dissabte, 17 de setembre de 2011, Sebastian Trüg vàreu escriure:
>> On 09/17/2011 04:30 PM, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
>>> A Dissabte, 17 de setembre de 2011, Sebastian Trüg vàreu escriure:

>>> There is no reason kde-runtime master should be frozen. kde-runtime
>>> master will be part of the 4.8 release and has to compile against
>>> kdelibs 4.7>
>>>
>>> Not sure I understand the sentence so won't answer.

>>> If all those nepomuk-* repositories depend on frameworks, they can only
>>> be released with 5.0, so yes, we should disable translations there. If
>>> all those nepomuk-* repositories do not depend on frameworks and will
>>> be released with 4.8 (you shall inform the release team about it since
>>> there is yet another tarball to release) then you need to clean
>>> kde-runtime because otherwise we will be shipping duplicate code.
>>
>> since I really do not want to maintain two branches I propose removing
>> nepomuk from kde-runtime master completely.
>> However, since nepomuk-core also contains all the nepomuk libs which are
>> now in kdelibs 4.7 we need to act here, too.
>> I propose that we move to include path nepomuk2. The main library is
>> already called nepomukcore. I am not sure about that yet. So maybe it
>> could be renamed to libnepomuk2 also.
>> That way we would have the libnepomuk from 4.7 and the new stuff from
>> libnepomuk2 and the only thing we need to ensure is that the 4.7 libs
>> still work with the services from nepomuk-core. Applications are then
>> advised to already depend on nepomuk-core instead of kdelibs.
>>
>> Opinions?
>
> Not sure I understand the mail, but to me it seems you are proposing breaking
> binary compatibility between 4.7 and 4.8 releases and killing of code and
> renaming of libraries.
>
> If that is what you propose, it is a big no go for me.

no, I am proposing to remove runtime components from kde-runtime and
using those from nepomuk-core instead. kdelibs will not be touched (frozen).
As discussed on IRC we could also make the libs in nepomuk-core private
for now (until frameworks) and only treat it as a split from kde-runtime.

Cheers,
Sebastian