detection if applet is running

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat Oct 29 11:38:13 BST 2011

On Saturday, October 29, 2011 12:18:00 Ruurd Pels wrote:
> On Friday 28 October 2011 12:46:38 Andriy Rysin wrote:
> > Yes, but I can get the keyboard layouts from x11 directly (that's what
> > applets and systray is doing), that'll be more efficient and would not
> > require dbus or even kded daemon running
>
> I think it would be preferred to use KDE functionality in this case. Why
> pass by KDE and Qt and go directly to X11 to do that? That would also mean
> that you would have to take into account that KDE and Qt run on different
> platforms that handle keyboard layouts differently.

agreed; we're already on our way to Wayland (excuse the pun? :) so this is a
key concern. it's much nicer to port centralized code that then extends these
changes automatically out to all applications (a prime design idea embodied in
so many of our libraries) than to have to hunt down code all over the place
and port them.

> You must abide by separation of concern. In your application your concern is
> to determine wether a particular applet is running.

in this case it probably only needs to use the kded daemon. the applet or tray
icon is likely irrelevant.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se