detection if applet is running

Ruurd Pels ruurd at kde.nl
Sat Oct 29 11:18:00 BST 2011

On Friday 28 October 2011 12:46:38 Andriy Rysin wrote:

> Yes, but I can get the keyboard layouts from x11 directly (that's what
> applets and systray is doing), that'll be more efficient and would not
> require dbus or even kded daemon running

I think it would be preferred to use KDE functionality in this case. Why pass
by KDE and Qt and go directly to X11 to do that? That would also mean that you
would have to take into account that KDE and Qt run on different platforms
that handle keyboard layouts differently.

You must abide by separation of concern. In your application your concern is
to determine wether a particular applet is running. It is NOT your concern how
that fact is asserted. If it is necessary to add functionality to be able to
let others determine if you are running so be it - then add that functionality
to the applet either by letting the applet expose something over DBUS or by
any other means necessary and add that to KDE and/or Qt.

--
Ruurd Pels,       Boogerd 1, 1791 GW  Den Burg - Texel, The Netherlands
ruurd at kde.nl         http://about.me/ruurdpels             +31612914545