Screensaver to be or not to be (was: Re: Security Audit Request for Screenlocker Branch)

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Thu Oct 13 16:35:21 BST 2011

On Thursday 13 October 2011 17:29:16 Martin Koller wrote:
> On Tuesday, 11. October 2011 21:11:03 Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> > > I consider most effects being "bling" yes, with that said I like it and
> > > appreciate it but still most effects add no real productive value.
> >
> > <offtopic>I have to disagree. By default we ship no effect which is
> > "bling"
> > only. They all add productive value. Even something like a fade effect is
> > productive value and not bling as it makes the system a more natural thing
> > to use.</offtopic>
>
> I'm sorry but this makes me laugh.
> What productivity gain do I have when using the "Snow" or "wobbly windows"
> effect ?
Sorry I wanted to write "by default we ship no effect enabled which is "bling"
only.

Snow btw was my first contribution to KDE and I removed it for 4.7... just for
the facts about the importance of bling. Wobbly is of course not enabled by
default.

As soon as we have a sufficient solution to build and distribute effects not
bundled with KWin all non-productive effects will be moved into something like
kde-artwork.

Cheers
Martin