[proposal] KSecretsService components moving from playground

Valentin Rusu kde at rusu.info
Wed Oct 12 00:09:51 BST 2011

On 10/12/2011 12:53 AM, Steven Sroka wrote:
>> The code is not yet fully mature, all the components are not yet finished,
>> but the main parts are there and it is now possible to have secrets stored
>> in KSecretsService and konqi or microblog successfully getting them upon
>> session start. There is a checkbox in the KDE Wallet configuration tool that
>> switch KWAllet API to KSecretsService when checked. It will be left
>> unchecked for the next release.
>>
> I sincerely don't mean to be an *ss and I do say this in good faith,
> but you say "The code is not yet fully mature, all the components are
> not yet finished". Given that downstream distros and users are still
> struggling with some rather bad bugs from previous versions of KDE,
> would it not be prudent to push the first release of KSecretsService
> until it is completed and all the components are finished?
Components are finished when the bugs become seldom. In order to get
bugs filled, the component must make it to the users.
The statement I made applies today, october 12. By the date of the
release, I think the code will become more stable, as I started using it
as my main secrets storage (a few minutes ago ,google-chrome just made
ksecretsserviced prompt for my password). This will be done starting
with the daemon, which is the central part, then the KWallet API, which
is critical for all the applications. These two pieces of code will be
quite ok by the end of this month. The rest of the code will be not yet
fully mature, but it'll be quite usable and I'll continue improving
them. I'll eventually get more help if these components will make it
into the main repositories, as it'll be easier to get them working. And
BTW, "no yet mature" does not mean that they crash every second. It's
more feature-wise oriented.
> I personally have been looking forward to KSecretsService and I like
> the idea of leaving KSecretsService unused by default for now, but it
> should at least be stressed to downstream to leave it off by default
> and why you chose it to be off for this release, if you do decide to
> implement it for 4.8. I assume there is a reason you decided to leave
> it off by default?
Yes, I decided that precisely to avoid pitfalls I saw when KDE 4
arrived. Let's put the code in for 4.8, voluntarily test it by
voluntarily checking that box, then put it on by default with the next
2012 release.
> Anyway that is just my 2cents, and I will follow whatever decision you
> make. You are a better judge of the quality of KSecretsService than me
> :)
Kool

--
Valentin Rusu (IRC valir, KDE vrusu)
KSecretsService (former KSecretService, KWallet replacement)