Screensaver to be or not to be (was: Re: Security Audit Request for Screenlocker Branch)

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Tue Oct 11 20:11:03 BST 2011

On Tuesday 11 October 2011 20:12:39 Torgny Nyblom wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 October 2011 19.52.36 Martin Gräßlin wrote:

> > > By this argument the entire screensaver and all effects should go not
> > > just
> > > the lockless screensaver.
> >
> > Sorry, but "effects" are not about "bling" but about improving the user
> > experience. Or do you consider present windows being bling?
>
> I consider most effects being "bling" yes, with that said I like it and
> appreciate it but still most effects add no real productive value.
<offtopic>I have to disagree. By default we ship no effect which is "bling"
only. They all add productive value. Even something like a fade effect is a
productive value and not bling as it makes the system a more natural thing to
use.</offtopic>

> > > In my oppinion the screensaver mode is a separate usecase then the
> > > locked
> > > screen one. Screensaver is bling only, where as the lock is for when you
> > > leave the computer in an untrusted environment and this should be active
> > > from when I leave, not after x min.
> >
> > Yes screen saver/animation and screen locker are completely different
> > things. That is exactly what this is about. I worked on a new screen
> > locker
> > which separates the animation and the locker. Therefore as I wrote having
> > just an animation is a non-valid use case for the locker.
>
> But you also said that the screensaver without locking was going away in
> 4.9. This is what I'm against.
As Thomas wrote you will always be able to run any animations you want. What
will go away is the support for xscreensavers when the screen is locked. But
we will make it possible to integrate QML based screensavers into the screen
locker.

Cheers
Martin