The future of Power Management - together with Activities

Michael Pyne mpyne at kde.org
Mon Oct 3 00:26:49 BST 2011

On Sunday, October 02, 2011 20:01:55 Dario Freddi wrote:
> I know, and I am sorry I had to come to a point where I needed to be
> harsh. You also have to keep in mind I am one of the few guys who does
> the dirty job, and I mostly get flames more than anything. Usually,
> the gratification for a developer is having users saying thanks, your
> app rocks: my gratification is usually getting no feedback at all
> because things work as they should.

Actually I can empathize a bit. I don't maintain much in kdelibs but I do
maintain KSharedDataCache, and you're almost exactly right: I pretty much
never hear about it unless it's in association with a backtrace. Of course I
am "lucky" in that KSDC is nearly completely hidden from users, so I don't get
flamed over it.

> So
> I am sorry and I deeply apologize if I can get easily angry when
> discussions start going down these kind of slopes, but at least try
> and show some understanding from the other side as well.

I understand, I've sometimes had the misfortune of having to get into debates
with inaccurate "shared state" between the debaters. Just remember that on
kde-core-devel we *are* on your side, and if it seems like we're not then
there's probably some underlying issue or point not being understood clearly.
Sometimes that's not your fault, sometimes it is. But even when it wasn't my
fault I've found it's usually better to simply restate the point that seems
unclear (either in different words or via an example) rather than to refer to
previous emails in a thread. You won't convince everyone this way obviously,
but at least everyone should have the same understanding.

Of course, you've done exactly that now with the Vimeo video and by posting
the code to git so I will be happy to watch the screencast once Vimeo works
again. :)

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne