The future of Power Management - together with Activities

Dario Freddi drf54321 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 13:50:18 BST 2011

On Sunday 02 October 2011 09:51:35 todd rme wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 11:19 PM, Dario Freddi <drf54321 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Saturday 01 October 2011 21:30:02 Lukas wrote:
> >> Both are quite unusual but possible situations, but creating new
> >> activity and moving all files/settings does not pay off.
> >
> > But in both cases, you don't need a separate profile/mode. We thought
> > about much worse corner cases while discussing, and we still need to
> > figure out one which explicitly needs a new profile.
>
> I can think of a pair.  You are doing development in a coffee shop
> with wifi, you will likely want wifi on even if other power use
> settings are low.  On a train, you don't, even if other power settings
> are high.  This is the case for many tasks.  And many laptops do not
> have hardware switches, so you cannot count on that being an option.
>
> Another case: you have bluetooth off to conserve power.  You realize
> you need to get something off your phone, or you get a call and need
> to get something on to it so you can send it.  Should you make an
> entire new activity just for handling your cell phone?  But you can
> have versions of profiles that have and do not have wireless enabled.

Isn't turning on/off wireless through hardware much easier? I could rephrase
every sentence about activities with "Should I make a new profile just for
...". It seems weird on the same level. Switches are there for a reason, if
you don't have them, use the applets' ones.

> Even if you go this route, I don't think 3 profiles is going to cut
> it, at the very least you need both presentation mode and movie mode
> profiles that people can use.

If you want to control everything through power management, which is plain
wrong anyway, you need a gazillion profiles/activities: nuff said to realize
it's not exactly the right approach. The battery applet will have a button for
triggering inhibition so your concern about presentation/movie mode is
invalid.

--

Dario Freddi
KDE Developer