The future of Power Management - together with Activities

todd rme toddrme2178 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 08:51:35 BST 2011

On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 11:19 PM, Dario Freddi <drf54321 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday 01 October 2011 21:30:02 Lukas wrote:
>> Both are quite unusual but possible situations, but creating new activity
>> and moving all files/settings does not pay off.
>
> But in both cases, you don't need a separate profile/mode. We thought about
> much worse corner cases while discussing, and we still need to figure out one
> which explicitly needs a new profile.

I can think of a pair.  You are doing development in a coffee shop
with wifi, you will likely want wifi on even if other power use
settings are low.  On a train, you don't, even if other power settings
are high.  This is the case for many tasks.  And many laptops do not
have hardware switches, so you cannot count on that being an option.

Another case: you have bluetooth off to conserve power.  You realize
you need to get something off your phone, or you get a call and need
to get something on to it so you can send it.  Should you make an
entire new activity just for handling your cell phone?  But you can
have versions of profiles that have and do not have wireless enabled.

Even if you go this route, I don't think 3 profiles is going to cut
it, at the very least you need both presentation mode and movie mode
profiles that people can use.

-Todd