The future of Power Management - together with Activities

Michael Pyne mpyne at kde.org
Sun Oct 2 01:33:32 BST 2011

On Saturday, October 01, 2011 23:02:40 Dario Freddi wrote:
> In addition, you have a separate section where you can override some
> settings based on which activity you are in. It's exactly like it is now,
> except you can not MANUALLY change the profile (e.g. by using the applet)

This is really the only part I find weird. Why make it so that you can't
change to the profile you feel appropriate at the time (or better yet, a
Custom profile where you can edit the brightness/idle/etc. settings)?

I mean, the profile *can* be changed by switching Activities, so what is the
technical reason it cannot be done by the user directly? The reason I'm
concerned is that it takes concepts (power management policy, current
Activity) which, although related, are orthogonal and then artificially
combines them. This isn't just a "streamlining", this is an intentional
breaking of a valid workflow, so presumably there is some underlying
technical/code maintenance concern that is driving this, no?

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne