The future of Power Management - together with Activities

Michael Pyne mpyne at kde.org
Sat Oct 1 19:43:24 BST 2011

On Saturday, October 01, 2011 16:27:48 Dario Freddi wrote:
> Hopefully, this solution will please everyone and will make activities even
> more useful. Do you like it? More suggestions? Speak now or shut up forever!

I actually think I like the idea of allowing what Activity you're using at the
time set the expected power profile.

With that said I agree with Andras and Stefan that the power management
profile should not require having to make a new Activity just to e.g. change
when my monitor sleeps.

What about instead having a "Current Activity" power profile in addition to
"Custom" (or whatever it's currently called). Switching Activities would
automatically switch the power profile, /if one is assigned to the Activity/.
>From there, to make changes you'd have to switch to "Custom" and then tweak.

I can say that on my laptop I've used the power management widget all the
time, but the only times I've touched Activities has been completely by
accident, since I use the laptop for basically one thing. So while Activities
should guide power management I'd really hate for them to become the /only
way/ to control power management.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne