The future of Power Management - together with Activities

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Sat Oct 1 18:34:47 BST 2011

On Saturday 01 October 2011 16.27.48 Dario Freddi wrote:
> Suppose you want to have an activity named "Sleep", in which you watch a
> movie, and the PC will shutdown after 90 mins of inactivity. In this case,
> you  would just specify to override the "Suspend Session" action. Or, you
> want to have an activity where you always want a profile which lets you
> run at full speed. You can define a whole new profile for it. Bottom line:
> manual profiles become "activity profiles".

My first response was that this would be a very hard to explain concept, but
after a minute reflecting on my usecases I would say this is an brilliant
solution!

I have a computer in the living room connected to the TV and the stereo, one
thing that annoys me is at parties the screen blanks (turns off) after some
time, but I need to have it do that since otherwise it would stay on always,
which is particularly disturbing at night.
My usecases could now be solved by having an activity like "watching TV",
another thats "Music centre" for usage at parties and a 3rd for "idle" state
which turns off the screen after 2 min.

Thanks!
--
Thomas Zander