The case for a kdelibs 4.8

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Sat Oct 1 13:02:35 BST 2011

On Saturday, 1 de October de 2011 12:58:01 Kevin Kofler wrote:
> (And I know that Qt is also breaking the ABI. That's something I also can't
> agree with, especially considering that Qt 4 was advertised as "the big ABI
> break which will make new ABI breaks unnecessary for a very long time" and
> we've been continuously told that "there are no plans whatsoever for a Qt 5
> any time soon", almost up to the day before the Qt 5 announcement. But I
> realize that this is out of KDE's control.)

Between the 4.0 and 5.0 release, it will have been 7 years. I think it's long
enough.

KDE could take Qt 4.8, fork it and continue developing it. Any show of hands?

As for the announcing of the plans, there were no plans to do Qt 5 until there
were plans. Once there were plans, they were announced.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358