The case for a kdelibs 4.8

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat Oct 1 12:27:15 BST 2011

PS:

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> the choice that packagers have is to actually work with us instead of
> against us.

We would very much love to work with you. In fact, this is why I submitted
my patches to KDE ReviewBoard before even getting them into Rawhide. I
really WANT these to be upstream. Fedora doesn't like carrying downstream
patches as a general principle.

However, working with you is only possible if you are also interested in
working with us, which implies listening to our needs, concerns and wishes.
By closing down the branch where our current development is necessarily
focused on since that's what we will be shipping in the near future, you're
already starting down the wrong road.

For those Plasma PackageKit features, sure, they're not strictly required,
which is why we got away without them until now. But to our users, they mean
that installing a widget through "download new widgets…" will actually
install the required dependencies, so the widget they downloaded will
actually WORK. What, to us developers, is a feature, actually fixes a bug
from a user's perspective. We, the distributions, interact directly with
users, and so are receptive to their needs, concerns and wishes, and tend to
base ours on them.

And finally, I strongly doubt that my features are the only post-4.7 kdelibs
features running into the freeze. (In fact, what's now going on with
kactivities and nepomuk proves quite the opposite.)

        Kevin Kofler