Frameworks mailing list

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Thu Nov 17 17:17:30 GMT 2011

On Thursday 17 November 2011, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 16, 2011 09:48:15 Thomas Friedrichsmeier wrote:
> > On Wednesday 16 November 2011, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > > In case someone is interested since it has never mentioned in this
> > > list, there is a frameworks mailing list at kde-frameworks-devel
> > > https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-frameworks-devel
> >
> > So why have this discussion on a separate list, at all? Isn't that just
> > the sort of topic that kde-core-devel is for?
>
> i think this already came up once on this mailing list? maybe not.. in any
> case:
>
> the concern was that kde-core-devel is too prone to low-signal discussion,
> making communication and coordination difficult. those who started working
> on frameworks wanted somewhere they could coordinate in a high signal
> environment.
>
> i was not sure i agreed with that approach, but i have to say that the last
> few threads on this topic on k-c-d have supported their point :(

I would draw exactly the opposite conclusion.

If the signal to noise ratio here is considered too low, then having the KF5
discussions here
* would have increased the signal, and thereby increased the SNR
* IMO would also have decreased the feeled need for the lengthy discussions
taking place now, since people would feel better informed, which would
decrease the noise, thereby increasing the SNR

Seriously, IMO it's a "bug" if the core KDE developers don't use kde-core-
devel for communication.

Alex

P.S. from my POV, I'm not sure using kde-core-devel for the reviewboard mails
is really necessary