Git Worflow, branch creation.

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Thu May 19 11:22:17 BST 2011

On Thursday, 19 de May de 2011 11:44:59 Stephen Kelly wrote:
> Ben Cooksley wrote:
> > Second you are heavily advocating rebasing. This shouldn't be done in
> > public repositories as it:
> > - Inflates the size of the repository.
>
> I thought git gc which runs periodically would mean that the repo size is
> not inflated?

Correct.

> > - Requires some Git magic to recover if the branch you are currently
> > using gets force pushed.
> > - Is detected as new commits by the hooks, which if you were to
> > operate in the main repository would cause re-notification of commits.
> >
> > If you were to continue with your current workflow, then you would
> > likely need the assistance of Sysadmin everytime you wanted to merge a
> > significant feature which comprises of more than 100 commits into the
> > main repository.
>
> Do wee have any information about feature branches of 100 commits? When KDE
> developers push local branches how many commits are on them? Do we have
> numbers about that?

100-commit feature branches probably will do merges and thus cannot be
rebased.

A rebasing branch is usually done by a single developer and should have in
average up to 10 commits. 20 at the outset, then it starts to get really hard
to maintain.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358