Git Worflow, branch creation.

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Thu May 19 09:44:26 BST 2011

On Thursday, 19 de May de 2011 20:20:13 Ben Cooksley wrote:
> Second you are heavily advocating rebasing. This shouldn't be done in
> public repositories as it:
> - Inflates the size of the repository.
> - Requires some Git magic to recover if the branch you are currently
> using gets force pushed.
> - Is detected as new commits by the hooks, which if you were to
> operate in the main repository would cause re-notification of commits.

Advocating rebasing is a good thing, so I have to interject here. However, it
only works as long as people are not basing their work on their branch, or are
properly informed of it.

Personal branches should be rebased. Git's own "pu" branch is rebased every
now and then and people know what to expect if they use that.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358