Git Worflow, branch creation.

Alexis Ménard menard at kde.org
Wed May 18 00:21:03 BST 2011

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 1:16 PM, Fredrik Höglund <fredrik at kde.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 May 2011, Ivan Cukic wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 17. May 2011. 11.42.41 Maksim Orlovich wrote:
>> > Testing.
>> >
>> > If everyone is working on branches on cool new stuff, the release will
>> > be crap.
>>
>> I don't agree. Freezes just stop the development - it doesn't improve the
>> bugfixing as much.
>
> It's not just about keeping people focused on fixing bugs, it's about
> developers actually running and testing the branch that we're about
> to release.

Well it's the same you could run 4.7 branch (supposedly more
mature/tested than the trunk). And you could also point out that
branch to early adopters rather than trunk.
Also for distribution it's easier, they pick a branch (4.7) and make
nightly builds. It's more your responsibility as a KDE developer to
switch to that branch rather than sticking with trunk if you really
want to help to fix the stability when the release is about to happen.
I fail to see why 4.7 branch could be less tested than trunk if you
communicate it properly. Btw still on the old svn, you were sticking
with trunk or after the branching you were running the release branch?
To me it's the same but in the other hand you let the development to
continue (a bit like Firefox new approach/WebKit).