Qt5 -> KDE5?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu May 12 07:32:37 BST 2011

On Tuesday, May 10, 2011 17:18:58 Alex Merry wrote:
> On 10/05/11 09:26, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > we also have some blighted API that remains that needs cleaning up, but
> > we also need to exercise restraint. since we don't need to make huge
> > changes to many parts of Platform, we should try and show caution in
> > changing things "just because we can". we should justify to ourselves
> > why, for instance, we're changing KPagedDialog (to pick something
> > random out of the air; i don't actually have designed on that one :)
>
> On this front, I think it would be a good idea to try to introduce the
> new api and deprecate the old in a 4.x release where possible, before
> clearing out the deprecated stuff in Platform 5.  This would allow a
> smoother transition, especially for apps that aren't included in SC.

this is what we are planning on doing with libplasma, for instance. only a
slightly more drastic level. i expect libplasma2 to debut on top of Qt4 and i
think we will end up shipping, or at least making available, both libplasma1
and libplasma2, between then and KDE Platform 5.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se