Upcoming freezes KDE 4.7

Dawit A adawit at kde.org
Tue May 10 23:39:37 BST 2011

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 5:50 PM, Sebastian Kügler <sebas at kde.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tuesday, May 10, 2011 17:17:04 Allen Winter wrote:
>> I'm not so sure that this is a new feature -- more like an improvement to an
>> existing feature.
>>
>> BTW: exception requests should be sent to the Release Team (who I've CC'd)
>>
>> Speaking as a Release Team member, I have no problem with your exception
>> request. More problematic would be the need for new translatable strings
>> past the string freeze. So you may also need to coordinate with the
>> translators.
>
> Yep, if it contains new strings, translators would need notification of the
> new strings. If it's getting too close to release time, it would be good to
> ask if there are problems with the translations then.

Actually there are going to be very few string additions and changes.
For example, input for entering SOCKS proxy information will be made
available and hence new strings that come with that. Otherwise, there
is not much change when it comes to strings and translations. I will
try to inform the translators by marking my commits with "GUI:" and
also sending a message about the changes to the appropriate list.

>> On Tuesday, May 10, 2011 01:49:01 pm Dawit A wrote:
>> > The KDE 4.7 Hard Freeze date is still a couple of days away, but I am
>> > going to ask for an exception. I have pending UI changes for the proxy
>> > configuration dialog that will not make that date and it cannot be
>> > pushed until 4.8. This item is already on the features list, but I get
>> > held up fixing rather critical bugs and was not able to get around to
>> > completing it. It is critical that these changes be in the 4.7 ; so I
>> > am asking for an exception. They should be in place for the Beta 2
>> > tagging...
>
> I also do not see a problem with that.
>
> Just to get a better understanding, why are these changes important?

Because things like entering SOCKS proxy information is missing right
now and have to be added back. Moreover, the entire proxy
configuration dialog can be streamlined and not be as clunky as it is
right now. For example, the separate dialogs for configuring manual
and system proxy information are really clunky and the source of a
couple of outstanding bug reports ; so in the new dialog they will be
gone. That would not only simplify the UI for the users but also make
code maintenance much easier.