Qt5 -> KDE5?

Alex Merry kde at randomguy3.me.uk
Tue May 10 17:18:58 BST 2011

On 10/05/11 09:26, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> we also have some blighted API that remains that needs cleaning up, but we
> also need to exercise restraint. since we don't need to make huge changes to
> many parts of Platform, we should try and show caution in changing things
> "just because we can". we should justify to ourselves why, for instance, we're
> changing KPagedDialog (to pick something random out of the air; i don't
> actually have designed on that one :)

On this front, I think it would be a good idea to try to introduce the
new api and deprecate the old in a 4.x release where possible, before
clearing out the deprecated stuff in Platform 5.  This would allow a
smoother transition, especially for apps that aren't included in SC.

> we also need to take advantage of the new Qt openness and get more of our code
> into Qt so we don't have to drag as many libraries around with us just because
> it isn't in Qt. the changes to the Qt undo framework recently is an excellent
> example of this, and there is tons of low hanging fruit here. John Layt named
> a couple in his email: locale, calendars, printing.

If Qt is moving away from QWidgets to QML, this could potentially be an
opportunity to push some of our kdeui stuff up into the QWidgets
library, especially if someone associated with KDE is willing to take on
maintainership of that.  Admittedly, this is a big ask, but if we have
someone willing to take that on, it's something we should probably consider.

Alex