Qt5 -> KDE5?

Olivier Goffart ogoffart at kde.org
Mon May 9 17:03:18 BST 2011

Hi,

With Qt5 around the corner[1], I think it is time to start thinking about KDE5

Raw summary:
 - Qt5 is planed to be released in about one year from now if everything goes
well.
 - It should be mostly source compatible with Qt4, and is just an opportunity
to break binary compatibility.
 - QWidget just stay for compatibility. All focus is put on QML. Do not expect
new development on QWidgets from Nokia.
 - The "OpenGouvernance" should finaly come into light, meaning we (as KDE),
can contribute easier to Qt.

I guess it make sens, as Qt breaks binary compatibility, to do the same in
kdelibs.
Does that mean "KDE 5"? or "KDE SC 5"? Not necessarily.
We can break binary compatibility, and change the .so version of our library
without changing the major version of KDE itself.
But I think it would anyway still be a smart move to do it.

And I think this is a perfect opportunity to get some KDE class in Qt as we
planed. [2]

Some item we might want to think about:

 - Do we want "KDE 5" to be a big change, or just a small increment?

 - Do we want to focus on QML, or stay with QWidget?

 - Shall we try drive Qt5 based on KDE5's need?

 - Do we have more visions for what KDE5 should or should not be?

I guess there is as many opinions as people involved :-)
Many things to think about, and that can be discussed further, and decided in
Platform11 [3] (I will be there)

But in my opinion, if there is something we should learn from the KDE4
transition, it is not to be too ambitious.

--
Olivier

[1] http://labs.qt.nokia.com/2011/05/09/thoughts-about-qt-5/
[2] http://community.kde.org/KDE_Core/QtMerge