Help on .desktop files for oxygen

Parker Coates parker.coates at kdemail.net
Fri May 6 17:53:15 BST 2011

On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 05:50, Hugo Pereira Da Costa  wrote:
> Some follow-up.
>
> I coded locally the necessary changes to have "oxygen-settings" included
> inside "systemsettings", even when through changing the various pages into
> KCModules, and ... well ... it pretty much defeats the purpose (see
> screenshot at: http://simplest-image-hosting.net/jpg-0-plasma-desktopye3595)
>
> The result is that the "advanced" configuration is now more visible than the
> "basic" ones (located in Application Appearance and Workspace Appearance,
> for widget and decoration style), which is pretty much the opposite of what
> oxygen-settings was trying to achieve ...
>
> So unless someone has a better idea (or disagrees with the above), I guess
> I'll leave things unchanged (oxygen-settings as a non-advertised standalone
> application) for kde 4.7.
>
> Oppinions ? Comments ? Ideas ? (somehow I wish system-settings still had its
> "advanced" tab).

Why not just do something like http://i.imgur.com/vTJ00.png ?

It's not particularly elegant and opening dialogs from dialogs is
typically frowned upon, but it's an easy, simple, practical way of
letting users discover oxygen-settings without having to broadcast its
existence in the menu or the top level of system settings.

Parker