Season of KDE project on speed optimization

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Tue May 3 13:32:12 BST 2011

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 2:44 PM, David Edmundson
<david at davidedmundson.co.uk>wrote:

> On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 1:39 PM, Sebastian Kügler <sebas at kde.org> wrote:

> > > Depends what he finds slow.
> > > A possibility would be to either help the Platform modulation effort to
> cut
> > > down dependencies (if helping hands are still needed there).
> > > Another could be to reduce the number of dependencies that are loaded
> during
> > > startup (if he finds startup slow).
> > > A third possibility would be to utilize kdelibs-mobile for desktop use
> and
> > > maybe work downstream in OBS to offer a SC based on kdelibs-mobile.
> >
> > Profiles are not meant to be used that way. They're cutting out features
> that
> > might already be on a given platform or don't make sense for mobile and
> > embedded use cases at all, but these features are still needed by many
> > applications.
> >
> > There is no magic silver bullet :)
> >
> > That said, I think startup performance would be a very nice project, with
> high
> > impact. The way to go here would to use bootchart and a profiler to find
> out
> > where most of the time is spent, and then making that code faster. Should
> be
> > quite fun :)
> >
> > Cheers,
> > --
> > sebas
> >

> Note, that some work on this was done last Season of KDE
> (http://dot.kde.org/2010/12/29/season-kde-2010) by Yuvraj Tomar. It
> would be worth trying to build upon whatever he did, so that we're not
> duplicating work. Especially if he has written any useful profiling
> tools.
>
> David Edmundson

Interesting! Do you happen to know where i can find more information about
that? I did found a dot.kde articly wraping up the SoK:
http://dot.kde.org/2010/12/29/season-kde-2010 but that's about all i can
find on that project. Did it get pushed into KDE? ... more details on this
would be nice.