OpenPrinting Summit - Print Dialog and Colour Management

John Layt johnlayt at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 17 16:30:13 GMT 2011

On Thursday 17 Mar 2011 15:27:53 todd rme wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 6:36 AM, John Layt <johnlayt at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > Ah, actually the CPD isn't cross-platform, it's cross-desktop meaning the
> > same dialog design and back-end code used in both Gtk and Qt apps.  If
> > you're running a KDE app on a Gnome desktop you'll get the Gnome dialog
> > pop up for consistency with the rest of your Gnome apps, but using the
> > same common backend.  Personally, I'm not sure it is consistent to have
> > a KDE app pop up a Gnome dialog, but we'll see.
>
> Does this work the other way around as well?  If you are running in a
> KDE desktop and you open the dialog in a KDE application, do you get
> the KDE version?
>
> -Todd

Yes, a Gnome app on a KDE desktop will get the Qt/KDE dialog.  My reservations
come from a lack of consistency with other dialogs within the app, especially
if theming is poorly integrated.  Also I know I converted from Gnome to KDE
when I saw how much better the KDE file and print dialogs were, so it's good
advertising always showing our dialogs :-)

Cheers!

John.