OpenPrinting Summit - Print Dialog and Colour Management

John Layt johnlayt at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 16 17:44:31 GMT 2011

Hi,

I'll be attending the OpenPrinting Summit [1] to discuss how to complete the
Common Printing Dialog [2] and integrate it into KDE and Qt.  I'm looking for
any feedback people may have about the CPD, and any questions you want me to
ask while I'm there.

The CPD is a common print dialog implementation in Qt and Gtk that gets called
via DBus.  The dialog includes a preview image, more user-friendly options,
better driver integration, and settings management.  Most programs will simply
print their entire document to PDF and pass the file to the CPD and not have
any more involvement, but there is a callback mode for longer multi-page
documents to use.

We will obviously need new API to wrap the new workflow and functionality,
which I think should be a stand-alone Qt-based library until such time as Qt
can be convinced to integrate it natively.  This library will also need to
provide fallback functionality to use the native Qt print dialog for when the
CPD is not present, such as on Windows and OSX.  Otherwise apps will need to
code for two different print paths depending on the platform which is not
desirable.

You can have a play with the dialog in its current rough and ugly state at
[3].  OpenPrinting have a GSoC project to finish the dialog this year which
I've promised to help advertise.  It would be great if we could find a good Qt
gui hacker to make it really shine.

Also on the agenda is integrated end-to-end Colour Management possibly using
colord [4], something I know absolutly nothing about, so any feedback or
suggestions people have on that will be very welcome.  For starters the
dependencies for colord are glib and policykit.

The OpenPrinting Summit is part of the Linux Foundation Collaboration Summit
immediately following Camp KDE, so if you're attending and want to be involved
in either of these areas please let me know, backup on the more technical
aspects would be welcome.

Cheers!

John.

[1]