Intended organization of KDE Frameworks

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Mon Jun 27 21:18:08 BST 2011

On Sunday 26 June 2011, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> A Sunday, June 26, 2011, Ingo Klöcker va escriure:
> > On Tuesday 07 June 2011, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > > A Tuesday, June 07, 2011, Kevin Ottens va escriure:

> > > Unfortunately that is not possible. Right now Solid is translated
> > > using .po but that only works in KDE applications because you
> > > have a KGlobal+KLocale around that loads .mo files (compiled
> > > .po), hijacks Qt calls and maps them to the .mo contents.
> > > Without a
> > > KGlobal+KLocale around that will not work.
> > >
> > > This means that if you want Tier 1 frameworks to be translatable
> > > you need either to teach Qt to understand gettext files natively
> > > or to make Tier 1 frameworks use pure based Qt/Linguist
> > > solutions which does not fit either in what scripty is able to
> > > do neither in what our translators are used to.
> >
> > AFAICS, Tier 1 frameworks don't provide any UI. IMHO they shouldn't
> > provide any user visible texts either. Just like UI this should be
> > outsourced to Tier 2 or 3 if necessary at all.
>
> Localization is not only about user visible texts, It is also about
> kconfig having per language keys, it is about kstandarddirs::locate
> being able to find localized icons, etc.

I hear you, but by the definition of Tier 1 none of this can be used in
Tier 1 frameworks because "Tier 1 frameworks depend only on Qt itself
and no other Qt based framework".

Of course, this means that Tier 1 frameworks will be very low-level and
not offer some of the features we are used to in KDE libraries. But
that's exactly the point of Tier 1.

Regards,
Ingo