KDM plans and lightDM

Shaun Reich predator106 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 21:46:12 BST 2011

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 4:24 PM, Thomas Lübking
<thomas.luebking at gmail.com> wrote:
> ========
> Semi-OT:
>> knowledge there is some work going on to bring a Plasma interface to
>> KDM which would be a very unique feature.
>
> This?
> http://sreich.blogspot.com/2010/06/kdm-plasma-update.html
>
> Errr... hopefully *a* - and not *the* kdm frontend.

Of course *a*. I even went out of my way to specify it in other blog
entries, multiple times iirc.

I guess I should implement a big blinking marquee for the impaired as
well as for the ones who can't read.

> If it's just about the look:
> move the plasma frame rendering stuff to kdeui. done.
> I'd write you a plasmatic general UI style to prevent this ;-)

It isn't just about the look. But you have fun with implementing that.
I'd love to know how flexible and clean the code is </sarcasm>

> But allowing "random" scripts in a login manager is like asking
> people to shoot themself.

See "plasmoids" bit, further below...

> Sorry for being rough now, but that is really a braindead idea and
> at best acceptable for the single user desktop (ie. the ppl. who
> probably use autologin anyway), but certainly *not* in a hostile
> environment.

A "hostile" environment? If they have access to your PC you're screwed
anyways. Anything less than hostile is what any login manager would be
providing for. Nothing more. If you're trying to prevent total access
to your computer from non-average users, then you're fucked regardless
of what method you use.

> But plasmoids are really the opposite of "secure" - you'd have to tell
> everybody to carefully inspect the plasmoids tehy want to put into the
> DM, or provide a database of trustworthy ones and who's gonna do that?

Duh. You've got to be joking. Okay, how about you read up on the
subject..like uhm...in my blog, before criticizing what you clearly
are clueless about?

The sysadmin would easily be able to prevent any additional plasmoids
from being added. That's built into Plasma's kiosk abilities.

Oh but you knew that before responding, because you know all about
this subject, or have at least half-ass read up on it. I see.

Not only that, the applets only run as user. So if the sysadmin did
not disable that, and the user can add them...tell me..what are they
going to do?

Blink excessively? You're right, I'll get right on that.

--
Shaun Reich,
KDE Software Developer (kde.org)