Requested Moratorium on hard to build dependency bumps for KDE 5

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 23:23:48 BST 2011

Am Tue, 7 Jun 2011 08:51:26 +1200
schrieb Ben Cooksley <bcooksley at kde.org>:

> You are effectively classifying a distribution
No, "distribution version vanilla" - iff at all.
(You still can develop on master, even run kwin - just not use OpenGL
composited kwin from master then - that's not quite the same)

Aside this, I'm not entirely firm in the OpenSuSE repositories, but they
do provide mesa 7.10 for 11.3 which originally shipped 7.8.

Given that this would be called (part of) a Graphics Driver elsewhere
and accounting the rapid development of the KMS/X11/Mesa/E?GL(ES)?
stack in the recent past as well as - well, quite some bugs &
regressions (tm), everything else could just as well be tagged as
"stupid".

And afaik (Open)SuSE move towards a rolling release as well?

> You are now depending on
> > as I have here on my system the start of the Wayland port which
                                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> components which aren't even in released distributions!
<secret>
   it's not even released by the mesa folks so far ;-)
</secret>

> (Note that having to live with a desktop without compositing isn't
> exactly what I would call usable for the long run)
a) runtime mesa check does no way block compositing.
b) Who says you've to use kwin from master then? Why should you _use_
(like: every day for reliable work) anything from master but the stuff
you're actually into?

Regarding your phonon/vlc issue: what's the configured sink in vlc?
(please don't say "standard" - press ctrl+m and check the second tab
output)

Cheers,
Thomas