Requested Moratorium on hard to build dependency bumps for KDE 5

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Mon Jun 6 21:51:26 BST 2011

On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 8:42 AM, Martin Gräßlin <mgraesslin at kde.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 June 2011 08:29:51 Ben Cooksley wrote:
>> Next KWin. It currently depends upon Mesa 7.10. I have a local revert
>> in a private local branch which reverts the dependency check code
>> within KWin to continue to allow me to use compositing. Even though I
>> have Mesa 7.8, I rarely experience KWin crashes - it has only crashed
>> once in the past 2 months. I use an Intel Ironlake based graphics.
>> This patch of mine works perfectly and does not cause any issues.
> KWin does *not* depend on Mesa 7.10! KWin does not have any build dependencies on Mesa.
> There is an optional build dependency on OpenGL and XComposite/XDamage. This all is optional!
> If you use Mesa drivers there is a runtime requirement for at least Mesa 7.10, whose reasons
> have been explained to you on plasma-devel.
>
> Given what you demand this is out of scope as it is not a build dependency. It is just that you
> don't get the latest features when not having the correct runtime dependency. I might add that
> using different drivers (NVIDIA or ATI blob as well as GLES/EGL Mesa drivers) do not have this
> runtime requirement. It is also still possible to use KWin with XRender or without compositing at
> all. Btw. patches to have an environment variable to overwrite all checks are welcome.
>
> Please also note that I will add a runtime requirement to Mesa 7.11 as I have here on my system
> the start of the Wayland port which will be in 4.8 and requires Mesa 7.11.

Now that is absolutely overboard. OpenSUSE 11.4 isn't even 3 months
old. And has Mesa 7.10. You are effectively classifying a distribution
as unsuitable for trunk development. You are now depending on
components which aren't even in released distributions!

(Note that having to live with a desktop without compositing isn't
exactly what I would call usable for the long run)

> Cheers
> Martin

Regards,
Ben