Requested Moratorium on hard to build dependency bumps for KDE 5

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Mon Jun 6 16:48:41 BST 2011

On Monday 06 June 2011 23:05:52 Ben Cooksley wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am requesting that a moratorium on dependency bumps for dependencies
> which are "hard to build" be enacted. This would affect system wide
> components which rely on root access and are heavily integrated into
> the system. This would not affect things such as UPower or the like -
> which aren't heavily integrated - but only heavily integrated things
> such as the kernel, X and ALSA.
For what modules do you want such a moratorium? Given that you mailed core-devel I
assume the Plattform. There I am very sure that we do not need to expect an X12 before KDE
4.8 is released ;-) But given that you mention X I rather think you want to have a moratorium
for the Workspaces. In that case please take the request to Plasma devel so that we can
discuss raised requirements on a per-component base. A general "moratorium" just looks like
a wonderful way to do bike-shedding.

> Over the past few months it has become increasingly hard to use a
> distribution which isn't even 1 year old to build KDE trunk. Custom
> patches, disabled features and compilation failures are fairly common,
> and represent an extreme barrier to contribution.  This would only
> affect releases after KDE 4.7.
Personal opinion: I think it is impossible to want to run the latest software around an old stack.
The overall FOSS world is rolling release with everything depending on everything. I cannot
see why you want to change that with a moratorium.

Cheers
Martin