Request: Inclusion of kio-upnp-ms to kde-runtime KIO slaves

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Thu Jun 2 22:39:07 BST 2011

Hi,

(all follow-ups only to kde-core-devel please, copying also amarok-devel this
time to get your attention and comments, amarokers)

guess you are still heavily occupied by more important things, Nikhil :)
Still  I think it would be good to have the upnp-ms kio-slave as part of the
SC 4.7 release, for now in extragear, not kde-runtime, given the state in the
release cycle (can move to kde-runtime for 4.8).
If you can share a minute please tell if you are okay with me pushing to get
your kio-slave into extragear, so it still can be officially part of SC 4.7

@Amarok people, please see below for a question to you.

Dimanche, le 22 mai 2011, à 13:49, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau a écrit:
> Hi Nikhil,
>
> Jeudi, le 12. mai 2011, à 01:38, Nikhil Marathe a écrit:
> > On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 4:04 PM, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau
> >
> > <kossebau at kde.org> wrote:
> > > Hi Nikhil,
> > >
> > > you know that today, April 12th, is already Hard Feature Freeze?! Would
> > > be really sad if your upnp-ms kio-slave misses the deadline now!
> >
> > Hi Fredrik,
> > I have been moving halfway across the world the last 4-5 days and so I
> > couldn't really do anything.
>
> For starting on a job, I guess? So congrats for that, wish you much joy! :)
>
> > I am at work, and don't have access to my laptop right now, but I'll
> > ensure your changes are in by tonight.
> > Aren't there circumstances under which certain features get some
> > leeway in being merged even after hard feature
> > freeze due to exceptional reasons? Any chance we can do this for the
> > slave, since the code itself has been pretty
> > well tested already.
>
> I would think there is a chance, if you can list the reasons:
> Do you know of distris which have the upnp-ms kio-slave in use?
> Which versions of Amarok make use of it/depend on it?
> And what ever else you think makes the release-team and others confident
> the inclusion now will be still okay and worth an exception.

@Amarok people: So since 2.4.0 Amarok makes use of the upnp-ms kio-slave,
right? Can you tell which distros already ship it?
And do you make use of that kio-slave's upnptypes.h, which has been renamed to
upnp-ms-types.h now? How is integration exactly done, what are the
dependencies, how do you detect the kio-slave?

> From what grep tells me, there are only three strings to be translated (and
> some more in the tests, but I do think you can/should remove i18n from
> there, testers usually don't need/want translated strings), and only for
> errors, so translators (and users) might be okay with an exception here.
>
> <snipped content="comments on code optimizations" />

Just pushed a branch "codeOptimization" with my proposals for those
optimization. If you find time, please give it a review and comment on it or
merge it to master, Nikhil :)
Adding the FindHUpnp.cmake is needed, as kdelibs does not install them, so
kio-upnp-ms needs a copy.

> > > I would think this is already a request ;) But if there is not enough
> > > time now and others would like to do their own review before it gets
> > > into kde-runtime, as there has not been an official merge request yet
> > > via
> > > https://git.reviewboard.kde.org, let's at least do the trick to still
> > > be part of the next release wave by "upgrading" the repo from
> > > playground to Extragear/Base as fast as possible.
> >
> > Do you mean I should abandon the inclusion in 4.7 and instead aim for
> > 4.8? I really think this should go in 4.7.
>
> So do I, and surely do Kevin and the metalworkers (because e.g. the Places
> integration would be useless otherwise). But you must push for it yourself,
> you are the maintainer. Or ask somebody else to do that in-place for you if
> life currently has swamped you with even more important tasks :) I would be
> willing to do so, if you want.

Cheers
Friedrich
--