My Plans, Your Plans: Berlin Desktop Summit

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Fri Jul 29 20:31:36 BST 2011

On Wednesday 27 July 2011, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> hi :)
>
> BDS is coming up rather quickly and i've been doing some personal planning
> for it today. i realized in one of those "i just realized the obvious,
> doh!" moments that i have very little idea of what others are planning and
> hoping for the event. it was a quick hop from there to realize that
> probably nobody knew what i planned and hoped for either.
>
> given that this is one of the most important events in KDE's annual
> calendar, this was a little shocking to me once i thought about it. i'd
> like to help make BDS a raging success this year for us (and i'm sure you
> all want and expect the same :) and it would help if i (and others) could
> arrive with some idea of what we're all arriving with in terms of
> expectations.
>
> so .. here are my primary goals:
>
> * push Plasma further forward by meeting with others who are contributing
> in person (ok, that one was probably obvious :)
>
> * engage with others involved with our goals set out at Platform 11 for KDE
> Frameworks and move that forward with them. a concrete personal goal: have
> the Frameworks branches set up in kdelibs and kde-runtime and merge the
> libplasma2 branches into them.
>
> * share our goals for Plasma Active more openly and explicitly with other
> people in the KDE project.
>
> * promote organization and leadership efforts within our community (this is
> reflected by my presentation topic :)
>
> * ensure that we get reasonable promotional coverage for BDS: timely
> content on the dot, "live" blogging and microblogging ...
>
> * have an enjoyable time with everyone who shows up :)
>
> ok, so there you go. more than you may have wanted to know about my plans
> and goals for BDS. i'd enjoy having more goals than the above, but it's
> already a lot to accomplish in such a short time there. trying to stay
> somewhat realistic ;)
>
> i'm VERY interested in what you are hoping and planning for from your own
> attendance at BDS. please share those goals so that we can all arrive more
> mentally prepared for what is in store.

Here my 2cents:

I'll mostly concentrate on the stuff from Randa.

* upstream stuff into cmake. automoc anyone ?

* get extra-cmake-modules into shape, a package for distributing our cmake
extension scripts

* try to make superbuild (https://projects.kde.org/projects/kde/superbuild)
known and get feedback from packagers, developers etc.

And, last but not least, meet again with the other developers interested and
working on the buildsystem and coordinate future work.
It would be nice if if we could form like a small "KDE buildsystem community",
e.g. we'll also need to make releases for extra-cmake-modules, write
announcements, have a homepage, etc. Some PR would be nice :-)

And since not only KDE guys will be there, maybe we can have some good
discussions with not-yet cmake users.

Alex