KF5 & Qt5 - QtCS Session

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 23:27:36 BST 2011

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 4:25 PM, Laszlo Papp <lpapp at kde.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> A draft list was made of some areas for focus with names drafted in against
>> them:
>> * KJob - Qt-Addon for 5.1
>
> Is the lack of manpower the reason or something else it is not planned
> against 5.0 ? I have made some simple modifications in our project
> where it is now KDE dependency free.
>
>> This is by no means complete yet so please suggest other areas and names.
>
> How about these classes ?
> http://api.kde.org/4.5-api/kdelibs-apidocs/kdecore/html/classKArchive.html
>
> There have been many times that I have experience the need for
> archiving operations inside Qt framework, in various pure Qt projects.
> This has also been the feedback from more friends about their
> projects. Here you can find an example in this thread:
> http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-devel&m=130762214616848&w=2.
>
> It currently requires more things to port prior to getting it work. It
> uses KSaveFile for atomic file operation and some dependencies from
> kde_file.h and kde_file_win.h. The subclasses of KArchive also use the
> KFilterDev class internally and KMimeType. As we can see, mimetypes
> are on the way, at least it is in your list. ;-) I have been trying to
> experiment with them in our pure Qt codebase for a while, and there is
> some progress.
>
> It might be that, it is a bit late. Unfortunately, I have just only
> now found the time to answer. I am not sure about the legal part of
> kde codebase reuse, but let me know if there is anything i can do to
> help.
>
> Thank you in advance! :)
>
> Best Regards,
> Laszlo Papp

I second that!
It is so painfull in Qt when you want to use archives that there is
nearly nothing for it.. KArchive would be a real nice addition to Qt
but i'm guessing that means KTar, KZip and KAr to also get in along
with some framework to add other formats.. I'm not expecting this to
happen, but it would be awesome to have it in! :)