Formal complaint concerning the use of the name "System Settings" by GNOME

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 12:32:02 BST 2011

2011/7/24 Ben Cooksley <bcooksley at kde.org>:
> Dropping GNOME out of this, as it seems quite clear they aren't
> interested in co-operating at all. Which is fairly typical for them,
> they're insular and only care for themselves.
>
> In any case, we need a short term solution to this. Basically, we are
> going to have to provide a different name under GNOME, because
> otherwise  GNOME users will complain to distros, who will patch GNOME
> to ignore System Settings (I refuse to acknowledge their app).
>
> A long term solution, sharing settings isn't even counted, as they are
> bound to screw us over yet again in some way. They are not to be
> trusted.
> Adding the panels apps need to them isn't exactly workable either due
> to the number of applicable panels and apps.
>
> As was proposed earlier, System Settings would call itself "System
> Settings" under KDE, but would prefix "KDE" to the name under all
> other environments. ie. KDE System Settings under xfce.
>
> I have recieved objections that this collides with the "branding
> policy" however. Given such an objection, what do those of you who
> object propose?
> A solution must be reached, otherwise it is the users of our
> applications who will ultimately suffer - and we will probably get
> blamed for it.
>
> Regards,
> Ben Cooksley
> System Settings Maintainer

Hi Ben,

Could you read and comment on my proposal:
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=131142514605051&w=2
I would like to implement this in the spec, KDE en Gnome, but i need
some pointers on where i should make such edits and to get it
approved.

I think that is the most sane solution that doesn't require multiple
desktop files.

If you agree on this, what do i need to do next?
Just some guesses..
- Propose the updated standard in the freedesktop mailing list (which one?)
- Make patched for KDE (which component? where? file?)
- Make patches for gnome (which component? where? file?)

Note: anyone is fine, not just Ben. Aiming at him since he started this mailing.

Regards,
Mark