the next step on the desktop

todd rme toddrme2178 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 15:22:06 GMT 2011

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 10:10 AM, Nuno Pinheiro <nuno at oxygen-icons.org> wrote:
> A Segunda, 31 de Janeiro de 2011 13:54:45 Marco Martin você escreveu:

>> > will talk to mgrslin this afternoon but somthing like a optimal size
>> > buton instead of max... if you clik it again it goes max.... now the
>> > apps would need to provide info to kwin about it... this comes in line
>> > with the other crazy ideas we benn cooking. worth trying IMO
>>
>> that's basically what the osx fake "maximize" button does.
>> for this a size hint is needed at the level of the wndow manager.
>> now, a qt application of course has an hint for its top level widget that
>> will be the window..
>> maybe this could be passed as atom, if still there isn't one in the netwm
>> spec (but not that i know of)
>> if the app doesn't provide an hint, it could jut fall back at be a normal
>> maximize
>
> exactly, plus i think in osx is more evil and you can't max (unless you realy
> realy want to by instaling external software).
> this would be a bit less evil than that and more of a 2 step thing....

How would we let users know?  Would the icon change?  Maybe a box for
"optimal size", then keep maximize and unmaximize buttons the same?

That leads to a couple questions: would unmaximizing automatically go
back to the optimal state?  What if someone wanted to go back to their
previous window size after going to the optimal state?  Ctrl+click
maybe returns to the previous state?  Although that lacks visibility.

-Todd