KDE git docs for dummies ? WAS: Re: splitting up kdebase in git

Ian Monroe ian at monroe.nu
Wed Jan 19 21:33:30 GMT 2011

2011/1/19 Alexander Neundorf <neundorf at kde.org>:
> Hi,
>
> now that it's getting serious, can somebody who is working on the git
> migration, *please* take care and write proper documentation on
> techbase.kde.org for git dummies ?
>
> http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Git , which is the first google
> result, and looks like a gateway page, has a "Getting started" section, the
> only link there which looks not outdated is the one to the git.kde.org
> manual.
>
> http://community.kde.org/Sysadmin/GitKdeOrgManual looks quite ok for somebody
> who knows how to use git for KDE, but not for me.

Maybe try this out first, it looks straightforward and the topic list
is comprehensive:
http://gitimmersion.com

> Can somebody please add a simple step-by-step howto, what I have to do with
> identity.kde.org, projects.kde.org and git.kde.org, how the git
> push/merge/branching policy is for KDE, etc. If there are existing blog
> articles about this, please add links to them in a good visible place.

There is no push/merge/branching policy for KDE. Different projects
will likely do their own thing. For the time being its just the
SVN-style development translated to Git.

> Sorry if such documentation already exists and I just didn't find it.
>
> For CMake, which moved to git last spring, such a wiki page exists:
> http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake/Git , which was mostly good enough for git
> dummies as me. I'd really like if somebody would write something similar for
> KDE.

I don't want to discourage anyone finishing the KDE-spin of the "intro
to git" documentation, but there are tons of generic git docs out
there and so far we don't have much KDE-specific advice to give. Like
most of the cmake docs are actually about their workflow, not really
git.

Everyone should really pay attention to this though:
http://community.kde.org/Sysadmin/GitKdeOrgManual#Let_Git_rewrite_URL_prefixes

Will save you a lot of time. :)

Ian