KDE git docs for dummies ? WAS: Re: splitting up kdebase in git

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Wed Jan 19 18:09:10 GMT 2011

Hi,

now that it's getting serious, can somebody who is working on the git
migration, *please* take care and write proper documentation on
techbase.kde.org for git dummies ?

http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Git , which is the first google
result, and looks like a gateway page, has a "Getting started" section, the
only link there which looks not outdated is the one to the git.kde.org
manual.

http://community.kde.org/Sysadmin/GitKdeOrgManual looks quite ok for somebody
who knows how to use git for KDE, but not for me.
Can somebody please add a simple step-by-step howto, what I have to do with
identity.kde.org, projects.kde.org and git.kde.org, how the git
push/merge/branching policy is for KDE, etc. If there are existing blog
articles about this, please add links to them in a good visible place.

Sorry if such documentation already exists and I just didn't find it.

For CMake, which moved to git last spring, such a wiki page exists:
http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake/Git , which was mostly good enough for git
dummies as me. I'd really like if somebody would write something similar for
KDE.

Thanks
Alex